You probably have seen Epson error code 0x97 being displayed on the screen, and yet you don’t really know what it is. Despite the fact that Epson is a great brand with great products, their products aren’t 100% free from faultiest and issues.
Different codes mean different problems. And although code 0x97 is considered the most common error code that happens to all Epson owners, not everyone knows what it is all about. So, what is the error code all about?
Understanding the Error Code
You should know that Epson error code 0x97 is likely happening to those who have used their printing machines for quite some time, and for extended period.
This error usually crops up and it immediately happens. You don’t get any sign or warning when it happens. It just happens.
The problem is quite annoying, really, because you can’t use the printer until it is repaired or fixed. The issue is related to the machine’s fundamental functions, and it affects those functions.
Read more: How to Fix Epson Printer Error Code 0x9a
It also typically happens when you are in the middle of a printing job, where the printer is ‘forced’ to shut down suddenly.
The reasons for the error code are many. It can be internal hardware problem. It can be internal component malfunction.
It can be issue with the motherboard. Basically, you need to try the troubleshooting methods one by one before you can finally find the real culprit.
How to Deal with the Issue?
If you experience Epson error code 0x97, no need to be panic-y first. Remember, there is always a solution for everything. In fact, there are several methods that you can try related to the printer.
Disconnect the Printer
The printer should be disconnected from everything. If you have any printing task, cancel it. Remove papers from the tray.
If you experience a paper jam, take the paper out. Disconnect all cables, which mean it includes the ink cartridges.
- Press Power button and hold it off for around a minute.
- Perform a test print.
- Push the Power (button) again
- Reinstall the cartridges
- Try re-connecting everything: cables, connection, etc
Reset the Printer
- Disconnect all cables and then press Power for a minute and hold it off for that long
- While you try to reconnect all the cables back, keep pressing and holding that Power button
- After the reconnection, again, press and then hold the Power for another minute. Afterwards, release the button
- Perform a test print
Print Head Cleaning
Often time, clogged and dirty print heads are the reason why you get the Epson error code 0x97. It’s pretty logical, really, considering that the printer has been used for quite some times, even to a very busy state.
That’s why, cleaning up the print head would be the most logical solution.
- Remove the cartridges. Do it one at a time so the print head would be cleared out. Afterwards, remove the print head from your printer carefully.
- Use a lint-free and clean cloth that has been damped with water (preferably the warm one). Use it to wipe the bottom side of the print head. Continue cleaning until you don’t see black ink on the cloth
- Have warm water in a small bowl to soak the print head. Remember, it should be warm; not boiling hot. Place a paper towel (on the base) and place the print head on it during the soaking. Soak the head in it for 10 minutes.
- Remove the head from the bowl. By using dry cloth, wipe any excess moisture or water
- Simply let the print head rest on a paper towel. It would air-dry it. Do it for 15 minutes.
- Insert the head to the carriage. Then re-install all those cartridges again
- Activate the printer. If this way works, you should be able to see some changes.
Install Driver and Update it
It’s also possible that malware is responsible for the issue. So, if you encounter this problem, you should install malware protection for the printer. If you already have one, then update it.
In the event you have done everything and yet your printer is still giving you a headache, then you need to reach out to the customer support.
They are the ones qualified enough to provide assistance. If they can’t help and you still have the warranty, you can always ask for a replacement.
But it is usually viewed as the last resort for Epson error code 0x97.